Wednesday, January 19, 2011

How to Make your own Chicken Broth

One of the things that has become second nature to me is to automatically make chicken broth from the left overs of a deboned chicken.  I've even trained hubby to do this anytime he has deboned a deli chicken.

It's really easy to do and sooo good for you.

Have you looked at the ingredients on a box of store bought Chicken broth?

I can't even pronounce those things much less know what they are.

Since most of my meals for this week are chicken broth based I made some broth from chicken carcass of a .99 cent whole chicken that I used for yesterday's Chicken Paprikash.

Here's how I make my own home made Chicken Broth.

Add Chicken remnants.  This is a carcass (back bone, breast bone, etc.). 
And fill with Water.

Add two onions, wash but don't bother peeling them.
I've done it both ways, and I find when I leave the skins on, it has a darker colour.

A couple (or as much as you want) of peeled garlic.
(I don't know why I peel them, I just do)

A couple of Bay leaves.

1 Tbsp of Salt.  (I use coarse salt.)

A carrot or two. I snapped mine in half after I washed them. 
I didn't bother peeling it.
You might also want want to throw in some fresh spices if you want.  I usually save the spices for what ever meal I'm using the broth for.

Bring it two a boil and then let it simmer for 2-3 hours.

And this is what you end up.

(That fatty top of jar gets removed before I add it to whatever meal I'm using it for.)

And that's it. 

Here's the recipe again:

Chicken carcass (bones and skin remnants)
2 -3 onions washed with skins on
 2-3 garlic pieces
5 -6 peppercorns
2-3 bay leaves
1 tbsp coarse salt
1 carrot broken in half (washed but not peeled)
(other fresh spices if you had them)

Add everything to a large pot with water.  Bring to a boil, and then reduce to medium to low heat and let simmer for 2-3 hours.

Once it's done, removed all ingredients with a skimmer and add to your containers for the fridge or freezer.  I usually scrape the fatty bits at the top of my containers before I add to a recipe.

So easy, and I can pronounce all the ingredients in there too.

And now I have a fridge & freezer full of chicken broth for this week's meals and maybe next week's too

So, do you think you will still buy chicken broth at the store or will you make your own?

By the way, have you liked me yet on Facebook

Follow along on my Weight Loss Challenge.

1 comment:

Lgali said...

thnaks for sharing nice recipe

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails